Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Well pump dies

We did not get much done on Sunday, as I may have mentioned in the last blog. I felt like shit and W2 lacks motivation if I am laying on the couch, you can't blame him. So we got the stove almost wired, got the upstairs addition completely unwired and insulated and swept. Then we called it quits before I had to do the puking in between hammering routine I've done in weeks past. W2's dad was pissed that we didn't finish getting the sheetrock off the ceiling and out of the apartment. In my world, it's none of his goddamn business what we did or did not accomplish. He has had no interest in this project up to this point and has offered nothing but condemnation and put downs for W2. He has caused more problems than been helpful. He gets W2 completely riled up, down on himself and frustrated. And then I have to hold my tongue of what I really feel, something I am NOT very good at, and spend the next...however long it takes, rebuilding, cheering on and supporting to undo the damage.

W2's dad does things very differently than mine. He does not support, approach things from a positive standpoint, or congratulate. This is very difficult for me. Not to say that my dad is the saint of all saints, but I, as well as W2, find it much easier to work with him. I think W2 has done an amazing job, with little to no help from anyone he expected to help. He has learned a ton and far exceeded what he thought he could do alone. I'm there, but as I mentioned, I am relatively unskilled labor. I'll work all day right along side you, but I'm learning too.

Anyway, W2's dad is an asshole in my opinion. I guess that's enough said about that.

W2's friends arrived last night to help get the beams installed. The Jackal arrived from Tenessee and Rigger is in from the Boston area. Our house is not so ready for guests but we made do and everyone made it through the night with nary a chill! Good thing we own as many sets of flannel sheets, sleepings bags and blankets that we do!

I got in the shower this morning and realized the water pressure sucked. The longer I showered (brief to begin with, but with no pressure, I couldn't get the soap out of my hair) the worse the pressure seemed to get. W2 flushed the toilet to see if that had any impact, it didn't. Then it took forever for the toilet to refill. It trickled in. One drip at a time. Or that's how it sounded anyway. So off to the basement went W2 like the Rehab Warrior that he is, to see what demon is plagueing us now. It seems we have power all the way out to the pump, but nothing from the pump. I have no idea what all of this means, except that the pump is not pulling water from the well. There is speculation that the pump might be frozen, but we don't know how to tell if that is the case. Getting a pump guy to house will cost a shitload of money. It will cost more because the weather sucks.

It's pouring out. And when I say pouring, I mean POURING, sideways, on top of the ice that fell from the sky last night, that fell after the snow fell. To say that the weather is miserable would be an understatement. The roads are horrendous, the wind is howling, no one in their right mind would willingly be working outside. A pump guy is going to cost a fortune today.

In my search for a silver lining in this very dark rain cloud, I am glad the furnace is working? so our pipes won't freeze? so we won't freeze? that it's raining so we can collect water that way? I don't know. It's getting harder and harder to find the silver lining and I am quite certain W2 is going to kill me one of these days when I offer the plus side of whatever situation we are in. I feel like that McDonald's commercial where the guy is being chased by a bear and says he needed the exercise or has a third degree burn and declares red is his favorite color. That's how I feel.

In the meantime, the boys are moving ahead with the beams. W2's dad is headed out to help (yippee) and they'll deal with the pump then. I am at work. Warm. Dry. Clean. These are good things on a day like today.

No comments: